Monday, January 28, 2008

*sad News* Good News

Meet Jordan. I'm sure most of you have heard me talk about him. Look at that gorgeous face. It is not possible to spend time with him and not fall in love. Jordan has Autism. I have learned a lot about Autism since beginning my work with him. His story is very simple (yet very complicated). He can not function in a regular classroom or on a 1st grade level, which is where he was at St. Matthews Elementary. It was very obvious from the start of school that he did not have the ability to stay in a regular room and not be a constant distraction. So in comes Mrs. Potts. Helping and caring for Jordan is what I have spent my time at work doing. Now that has come to an end. Jordan has been excepted to another school to be in an Autistic unit. This is where all the kids in his class are Autistic and he will have one on one help. This is the best possible setting for him and he will succeed in this environment. Yes I knew from my first day that it was possible he would leave. I just never thought it would be so hard to say good bye.





Good bye came today. He starts at his new school tomorrow. He is very excited about going to his new "big school". Yes I cried, and cried, and cried.


Here are some of my favorite times with Jordan.


1. playing roll the ball in the hallway.


2. Him saying Mrs. Potts


3. Eating lunch with him.


4. The smile on his face when he saw the treat in my lunchbox for him.


5. Taking him outside to the playground and spinning him around on the spinners. (very theraputic for Autistic children)


6. Him grabbing my face and holding it when trying to talk to me.


7. His huge smile.





I am going to miss him very, very much. For those of you that didn't know Jordan leaving means I don't have my job in Mrs. Armstrong's class anymore. I will still be working at the school as a sub, but in different rooms. I'm hoping for a full time position sooner or later. Tomorrow I am going back to say goodbye to the class I have been with. Yes I will cry again. It is impossible to spend everyday with them and not get attached. I have had a wonderful experience and it has helped me know for sure what I want to do with the rest of my life. Teach!


I'm leaving you with one last picture. This is the very awesome class and teacher that I have been with since Sept.

Please keep me in your prayers that another job becomes available at this school. It has been such a wonderful experience.

I will update everyone about school and the kids tomorrow. Right now I just wanted to give Jordan the credit he deserves for how he has touched my life. I will never forget him.

No comments: